WordPress has been in the blogging community for long, it’s a reliable and in fact among the top on the list when it Comes to blogging, one important thing about it is that it is free, yes free, unless if you want some more advance feature, then you need to upgrade to it’s premium plans.
PROS OF USING WORDPRESS
WordPress just like other platforms has some features that makes it unique and worth giving a try, from performance, speed, mobile friendliness, customization ability and affordability.
Some of the reasons why WordPress is still recognized as one of the best blogging platforms and stand out in the blogging community are highlighted below:
1. It is free, but comes with premium plans which comes with extra or additional of features.
2. Have numerous themes to enhance or improve the look and feel of your blog and plugins to enhance your blog’s performance, which the major things you need to get your blog started
3. It come with in built feature which help you track the performance of your blog using a popular plugin called JETPACK. It is a plugin that could track down the performance of your blog and provide security to the blog and make it load faster.
4. It is SEO ready, meaning it is search engine friendly
5. It has a feature called AMP which help provide a mobile view of your blog, so you have no trouble looking for how to get the mobile view your blog, WordPress have done that for you.
6. It supports many languages
7. It is fast, it won’t take you five (5) minutes to create a blog
8. Accounts are activated instantly
9. It offers free hosting, so you don’t need to buy hosting to get started
10. It comes with free sub-domain of .WordPress.com
11. It can be managed using mobile
12. You can add a custom domain pointed to WordPress domain name servers to give your blog a professional look.
CONS USING WORDPRESS
WordPress, despite having numerous advantages is still surrounded by some disadvantages which will make you leave it if you are really serious about blogging and go for the self-hosted WordPress,.
The problem will start when you want to monetize your blog and just realized that you have to share your hard earned revenue with WordPress or upgrade to a premium plan! Or visit your blog and find a POWERED BY WORDPRESS link at the bottom of your blog and can only be removed after upgrade.
Some of the disadvantages of using WordPress.com are highlighted below:
1. The free plan restrict you from using some features less you upgrade.
2. It branded the footer of your blog with a powered by WordPress links, which will make your blog look less professional
3. The blog is only managed by you, but the real owners are WordPress, which means they can delete your blog for violating there rules. You may loose everything, so creating blog using WordPress is risky.
4. Although it has more customization options than blogger, it still can’t be fully customized. This is because there must be a powered by WordPress link at the footer which can only be removed by upgrading to a paid plan.
5. It insert advertisements into your blog even if you don’t ask for it, which they don’t pay you a dime for it.
6. To be monetize a WordPress blog, you must upgrade to a premium plan, and WordPress got a share of your accumulated revenue.
If you are really ready for serious blogging, the WordPress hosted blog is not an option, you need the self hosted WordPress, it is completely understand your watch, see the reason why famous blogger Kennedy Prosper recommend it. To know the self hosted WordPress in depth, click here.
HOW TO CREATE A BLOG WITH WORDPRESS
You clearly know the risk of creating your serious blog on WordPress.com, but if you just want to start a blog for fun, or want to see how things are done before going into it seriously you can this platform a try using below procedures:
Visit the official website of WordPress, which is wordpress.com
Don’t be confuse by WordPress.com and WordPress.org, both two are WordPress but with different abilities, the .org is an open source software that will help you create a good blog , it is very powerful, powerful enough to power neilpatel’s blog, world’s famous blogger and it the no.1 recommended software for blogging and powers almost 25% of the websites on the web.
It is also be used to create all other websites such as school websites, company websites, community websites, social network etc.
While the .com WordPress is a platform just like GOOGLE BLOGGER that help you create a blog for free or by using premium plans.
You can read the comparison of the two on my blog here.
After the webpage opened, scroll down and find GET STARTED then click it to get your blog started.
Another page will appear asking you to select a plan: Basic, Personal and Business
Don’t bother about these, they are paid plans, just scroll down and you will find the FREE PLAN at last ,click it.
A page will open asking you to put a SITE TITLE, TAG LINE and CATEGORY of blog
SITE TITLE: This is the same you will like to give your blog, it should be professional, think before you choose it, it needs to be unique.
TAG LINE: This a short description of your blog which comes beneath your SITE TITLE, so it should be brief but informative
CATEGORY: This means the niche on which you will blog, for example Fashion, Travelling, Food, Education etc.
This is the stage you will be asked to choose a domain name, insert the site title you used above and click the search button, scroll down and find the .WordPress.com domain which is marked free beneath it and click it.
You are done, a dashboard will open for you to customize your blog to your taste using free themes and plugins.
Have any question? Don’t hesitate, use the comment box below to post it and we will get back to you shortly.
Find this helpful? Share it to your friends.