BLOGGING TUTORIAL (INTRODUCTION)
Whether in a business or school, a blog is a must have, it is what gives you the freedom to express your thought, ideas, and views and share knowledge with your targeted audience, and to get started, you need a guide, which is the reason we write this step by step blogging tutorial.
This post will focus on all you need to know before starting blogging from scratch.
The post as written by the author is self explanatory and understandable to someone who is hearing the word BLOGGING for the first time, and will be of great help to existing bloggers, from hobbyist to serious ones.
WHAT IS BLOGGING?
Derived from the word BLOG which means a website where a person writes regularly about recent events or topics that interests them, usually with photos and links to others websites that they find regularly, this is according to the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary.
In a more comprehensible language, blogging can therefore be seen as an act of creating and publishing contents in form of text with images or videos on a website to the public (world).
As technology is improving, all it seems for now is that a Blog is a must have for any industry of any kind, to help showcase their products for the reason that it helps drive more sales to a product, also more recognition to a company and more exposure to a school.
It is also one of the best and in fact second to none when it comes to MAKING MONEY ONLINE. As long as one can write qualitative contents, got a good design in his blog, and a recognizable audience, then he has every chance of monetizing his blog.
Others are already taking it as a full-time job, and are making millions on monthly basis.
WHO CAN BLOG?
Do you want to start blogging and don’t know if you are eligible for the job? Cool your nerve, blogging is for all! Yes for all. As long as you are passionate about it and can write then you are good to go.
You don’t need to have advance programming knowledge before you will be able to create and manage a blog, as long as you can use a Smartphone then you can manage a blog, no special knowledge of coding, with the help of some open source software you can create and manage with few clicks and from the comfort of your room.
FROM WHERE TO START?
First of all you need to get yourself determined that you really want to blog and get ready for it and also dedicate your time, and at last choose a good platform to use in creating your blog.
WHICH PLATFORM TO USE IN CREATING YOUR BLOG?
Are you fully set? and therefore thinking of which platform to host your blog? Below are some of the best Platforms to host your blog with their Cons and Pros
Is the Google’s blogging platform which allows users to create a blog in a few minutes with less hassle and with just a few clicks, all you need to have is a Google’s email account, (don’t know how to create it? Click here) and then the name you want to use as a domain to your blog.
- The whole setup won’t take you five minutes hence, it is fast
- Even more, it provides an instant activation of an account
- Have many clean and well-designed themes to choose from free and you can buy premium themes from third parties
- Customization option for themes
- And furthermore gives free domain of .blogspot.com to your blog
- Another advantage of using blogger is that you can add a custom domain
- and above all, Blogger can be monetized
- Consequently have few plugins to add functionality to your blog
- Just as most free platforms, Blogger also include branding of POWERED BY BLOGGER at the bottom of your blog
- Google host your blog for you in their server, hence, they can drop your blog anytime they wish or you violate their terms
- And most noteworthy, the theme cannot be fully customized
WHO CAN USE BLOGGER?
Hobbyist bloggers likewise beginners who don’t want to invest yet.
Is the WordPress blog builder which comes with a free host, just like blogger, wordpress.com host your blog at their server for free, all you need to get started is an email address like Gmail, Yahoo mail etc. WordPress.com is also a free blog host and likewise has tons of Pros and Cons:
- WordPress.com is free
- Come with free sub-domain of .wordpress.com
- Have free themes to get you started
- Have free plugins to enhance the blog’s abilities
- Easy setup
- You can add a custom domain
- Good SEO
- Have limited functions, you need to upgrade to the paid version for more
- Have a few plugins
- Cannot be fully customized
- Have company’s branding at the footer
- Not recommended for business
- At risk of getting your account suspended anytime if for any reason you violate their terms.
WordPress.org is open source software which you can use to create any type of blog with ease, convenience and with professionalism.
WordPress software is free to download and activate and is downloadable at their website www.wordpress.org.
To start using the self-hosted WordPress, you need a hosting service as free host service is not included in the package, you can try hub8.com, it is cheap and good, see why I am recommending it.
Most hosts offer a free WordPress auto-installer, so as long as you are ready to buy a host service, you don’t need any hassle of downloading the software, just go to your dashboard and click the install button.
Below are the cons and pros of using the self-hosted WordPress:
- The self-hosted WordPress is free
- And have thousands of free themes to use for your blog, and thousands to buy from third-parties.
- With thousands of free and paid plugins to enhance your site’s ability from speed, security, accessibility etc.
- Automatically SEO ready, WordPress ensures your blog have good SEO
- WordPress.org is a professional means to create a blog for any kind of business, many big websites/blogs use WordPress as blogging software, such as Neilpatel.com, shoutmeloud.com, wpbeginner.com etc
- Its Application can be extended, that is, it is used to create a company, school or business website.
- and can be easily installed using the auto-installer on a host server or directly downloading the software at wordpress.org to install it manually.
- It requires hosting and domain
Finlly, If you are really serious about blogging and want ready to start the blog journey, I am recommending the self-hosted WordPress, it is what keeps this blog running and what most top bloggers are using, see a reason why I am recommending it here.
And if you are just a hobbyist blogger, or new and want to learn how to run blogs first before you start it seriously, you can start with blogger or wordpress.com as the two both offer free hosting which is quite reasonable for someone who doesn’t want to spend a dime.